January 25, 2010

My Stomach: A Bottomless Pit?

Surely not.

Sometimes it seems that way though. It has never been easy for me to know when I am "full."

I have noticed that my one year old has a pretty good indicator of when she's full. Her little tummy gets just big enough that her belly button pops out! Kind of like a Thanksgiving turkey with one of those red things that pops out to let you know it's done.

Since I haven't seen the sunny-side of my belly button in about 30 years that little trick isn't going to work for me, unfortunately.

Here are 3 things I am going to try to implement to help in this area.

1. Stop eating before I think I am full.
The rule of thumb in knowing when the right time is to stop eating is just before you begin to feel full. You will still feel just a little bit hungry. If you wait until you are completely full then it's too late. Why is this so important? Because when you eat until you are full, you are adding more calories and fat to your body. Your brain takes 15 - 20 minutes to read the signals from your stomach that you are full. This is why you should always take your time when eating. Read entire acrticle...

2. Drink a glass of water before, during and after each meal.
This will help me get full faster and it will also ensure that I get my recommended 8 glasses of water a day.

3. Pray before each meal.
This is something that I neglect to do many (most) times I eat. Not only do I need to give thanks, but also ask for God's help to recognize my body's cues to stop eating. I know He will help me.

I'll let you know how this works out.

7 comments:

Erika said...

Hey Lady! Losing weight has been a very spiritual experience for me. It started with a First Place 4 Health group. For some reason, it had never occurred to me that I could truly call upon the Lord to help me and guide me through all of the many obstacles in front of me. I will be praying for you!:)

mdavis said...

Keelie, I am there with you. I actually started January 4 with our "biggest looser" here at the school. My line is that my fat has been with me so long that it hates to let go, so it makes me try so much harder. The biggest thing for me in this effort is to write down everything I eat and how many calories it has. This has been the best thing for me since I am the habitual snacker while I am in the kitchen cooking.

Side note - Happy Birthday!

Keelie said...

Erika--I know the spiritual connection is going to be huge if I can ever get control of this thing. I am actually doing FP4H! right now. It is a change of pace from my standard WW and I think the spiritual aspect is very important.

M--writing everything down is key. I have a VERY hard time doing that. The only way it works for me is if I write everything down beforehand (pre-planning). Keep us posted on the BL contest!

Unknown said...

This is an amazing blog! I am a new follower and looking forward to going on this journey together. I also love to eat and am learning how to put it under control like you are. I also blog about my journey, hope you check it out! ;)
The Lord will guide you!!!
Best wishes!
Kelly

Little Miss Fatty Pants said...

I too, am a bottomless pit. I can eat and eat and eat and then eat some more.

That drinking water tip is a great one!

Good luck to you. I hope your new guidelines help you tons!

Taylor said...

Writing it all down is huge. It made me realize the reason I am always so hungry now is because I was eating as much in one day as I should have been eating in 3 days! I have a huge WW recipe book I will email you. SOme of the stuff seems really good. Powdered Peanut butter, 1/2 a bananna and a double fiber english muffin for breakfast is actually pretty good ond I think its only 2 pts. I hate not being able to drink OJ and not eat chips and hot sauce. I will save all my points for one day, live on carrots until 6 so that I can eat an entire jar of hot sauce, with chips of course. I am pretty sure WW would kick me out if they knew I did that but it makes me happy...I may need more intense therapy to deal with this issue :) Another thing that has worked good for me is working out at noon and eating lunch at 1:30. That way I am not as hungry at night.

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for the comment on my blog. I know what you mean, about feeling like your stomach is a bottomless pit. Those are great ideas to help, though. I found that also sitting down to eat helps me avoid munching after I'm full. And I track all my foods.