February 5, 2012

Week in Review No. 5


Start weight:228 lbs
Current weight:171.7
Total loss:56.3
Weekly loss/gain: -.7

Physical
This week was just about as disciplined as I get when it comes to food. (Until about 3 hours ago. Today's tracker will document.) I set a goal to have two days of eating 1200 calories as opposed to the 1400-1500 I usually aim for and was successful. I also set a goal last week to exercise everyday for at least 15 minutes. I did not meet that goal. I have been getting my long runs in but walking a lot during the week. Doing the short runs throughout the week becomes essential now as the mileage is increasing on my training schedule and race day approaches. I really need to get motivated to move more this week.

Mental
The mental battle early on this week was me giving up sugar in my coffee. Which ended up being me giving up coffee almost entirely. I did have a cup this morning with Equal and regular half and half but it wasn't worth it. I just don't like it that way. But I don't really miss the coffee. I haven't had headaches or any side effects like that. After the first couple of days I didn't really think about it.

Emotional
Again, the tiny loss frustrates me. Especially since I feel that I truly gave it my all this week. I can't say that this has happened many times--giving 100% and small loss. In the past it seems that a week like this might yield at least a 2 or 3 pound loss. It really got the best of me today and I just felt mentally and emotionally tired with no reward of weight loss.  I don't think the gall bladder is in danger (lol) but I did not eat well today. Which is a shame because if I was going to veer off course I would have rather done it last night with homemade desserts. But, I digress. The last time I had a day sort of like this it came on the heels of a .2 loss. Apparently anything less than a one pound loss is not acceptable to me. In my head I know that it's not all about the numbers. "A loss is a loss." I preach that all the time. It's so easy to say. I guess that truth just hasn't made it to the deepest parts of my heart yet. I will continue to pray for that end. In the meantime, what I weigh today and how I messed up today will not diminish my recognition of what was otherwise a perfectly wonderful week on plan and  just in general.

Spiritual
Most days I was able to sneak into the bathroom for 15 to 20 minutes with no interruptions for a quiet time with God. I had a little chuckle studying in Mark chapter 1:35-37: Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Simon and his companions went to look for him, and when they found him, they exclaimed: “Everyone is looking for you!”  Ha! Jesus truly does know how I feel! Can't I just get a few minutes alone in the bathroom, people? :) But seriously, the quiet time that was provided for me this week was just perfect. I continue to pray that this would become a habit. I am excited as I sense the Lord leading me into some uncharted waters in my life. It is amazing to look back on the past few years, even months, and see how He has paved the way for new opportunities and cultivated my heart so that His desires could grow there. Scripture memory for this week was Romans 1:17 For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed--a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "the righteous will live by faith."

Weekly Highlights
  • Talked throughout a 3 mile run, never been able to do that before due to lack of breath. This was a milestone!
  • Fun times with family
  • 1200 calorie goal met
Weekly Goals
  • Three 1200 calorie days (Tues, Thurs, Sat)
  • Run 5 out of 7 days (Mon (6mi), Tues, Thurs, Fri., Sun)
  • No overeating if my weight loss isn't what I expect on Sunday
Photobucket

3 comments:

BEE said...

congrats
just remember a loss is a loss
keep up the great work

Morgan said...

You are so good at looking at things and really getting to the heart of what is going on, and then adjusting how you will face it in the future. And all with a good attitude. I'd like to be more like you.

Sarah said...

Hi,

I am new to your blog, but have been reading long enough to forget how I found it! Ha! :) I was wondering where you get your calorie goals from and if you've ever considered you aren't eating enough to lose weight, especially on the days you run?

I have lost 70lbs in the last 2 years, 250lbs down to 180lbs. Only now are my lowest calorie days around 1500 and I never exercise.

If your body is deprived of calories to an extreme it will start to hold on to weight, it feels it needs to. When I see some one stick to their plan so well, and still not lose weight, that is the first thing I think, they are not eating enough.

For example if your body requires says 1800 a day for normal daily operation, and you eat only 1200 you are not giving your body 600 it needs. This is "ok", but if you then run and burn say 500 extra calories, you are down to giving your body only 700 calories for and 1800 calorie job. "Starvation mode" is a real thing and if your body thinks you are starving, it will be much harder to lose weight.

Just something to think about. Sorry to just come on here and give advice from the get go. But it might be something you want to look into.

Sarah